How to fix the Rogue and Resi issues.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How to fix the Rogue and Resi issues.

Post by Duspende on Wed May 14, 2014 12:43 am

So here's what I've found to be the most effective way to do things;

1. One gets one chance per whitelist as rogue. If you go rogue and get caught, you get amp'd and you lose your whitelist. You now have to re-apply and start over as a Recruit. What good does this do? It makes sure people really REALLY evaluate the risks of going rogue. The thing is the system you have right now is risk-free, and it shouldn't be risk-free. Going rogue is a risk you take. It should be so OOC'ly, aswell. This gets two birds with one stone. Not only do you only get proper rogues who know how to lay low from the CCA and probably the most of the public, and people who apply, go rogue, lose their whitelist from amp and don't re-apply, are obviously not invested enough in the RP going on that they feel it's worth an effort. That means the un-invested player more or less did your job for you.

2. If you're caught as resi, it's instant-PK. The combine should do regular sweeps of EVERYTHING. This includes the sewers and resi base. The resistance should blend in with the citizens during the day and at night they will show up in their regular citizen clothing with a mask or scarf on and spraypaint their lambda symbols, hand out food and supplies to the refugees/citizens of the city. The resistance isn't just about resisting the combine. It's about preserving humanity, and that means caring for your fellow people. Mankind is not worth saving if it has lost it's human compassion and humanity, and the resistance REALISES this. Being resistance is more or less like Anonymous. It's an ideology, not a group of anti-citizens with guns.

The thing people forget is that the Combine is so massive. It spawns the entire universe as far as we know, and most likely even several dimensions. But people seem to think if you just have enough guns and enough ammunition, you can hold off OTA indefinately, but that's false. The OTA are programmed to enforce Combine ideals. They don't need to FearRP. They don't retreat unless it's a tactical advantage to retreat. If they have an entire resistance cornered in a building, they wont hang around outside. They will bust that door down, and bullets will come flying. And the resistance WILL lose. The resistance needs to be afraid of the Combine.

The resistance isn't about fighting the combine as much as it is about bringing hope to the citizens who have none.

Of course there can be Resistance "cells" that work together. But they wouldn't conspire in the sewers in a shady-lit room somewhere. They'll be amongst citizens and at nightfall they'll meet somewhere and discuss what happens next. They should never spend more than 15-30 minutes talking before they resolve and go back to being single people, nor should they talk in an apartment or other public place. A restroom is a good bet or an alley somewhere. They need to not communicate via. radio as the Combine would most likely have technology to evesdrop on that. They should leave cryptic notes for each other written in code that is agreed on beforehand.

As resistance, you can't trust everyone who says "Hey man I hate the combine I totally want to kill them all!", because it would be obvious that the Combine do have some sort of undercover work going on.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, the Combine rule many galaxies and planets. They even enslaved the Vortigaunts. So contrary to popular belief, the Combine isn't just big guns and tough armor. They're also smart as fuck.
Duspende

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How to fix the Rogue and Resi issues.

Post by Mr. Awesome on Wed May 14, 2014 2:04 am

This 99.5%. I haven't been here long, but I have learned that these things are an issue, and I can agree with you on that. Though I think there should be some workarounds for a Resistance being caught and instant-PK'd. I mean it'd be okay I guess if every now and then in simple firefights it would be NLR'd. The only reason I say 99.5 is because generally Resistance characters have a lot more development than a Rogue CP(At least Rogues that I've seen in other communities).

If a Resistance guy gets his character PK'd, chances are he is going to be very upset. But then again, it still should be a risk, so have the ability, but not make it instant. Like you said, if he gets caught, so like if he gets imprisoned, and then executed, then maybe yeah, I think that is a good time for a PK. But say it was like a CP raid that is mostly shootaround rather than execution, then I think it should be NLR'd and the Resistance characters just learn about their certain depot or base being raided and losing their stuff. I think that's enough punishment for them considering it is very difficult to get supplies as a "Crime syndicate" basically.

Mr. Awesome

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Duspende on Wed May 14, 2014 2:17 am

You make a good point. But I see you referring to firefights. That shouldn't really occour, and if it does, it should just be supressive fire to allow the resistance to retreat. Basically they should be running around the corner, ditching their gun in a dumpster along with their headband and run in the opposite direction, pretending to be scared of the gunfire and come back afterwards for their stuff. This is the proper reaction to being resistance.

Also, I think it is fair enough to have a "Death = PK" rule, because resistance should be clever enough to not get themselves in situations where they die.

I also see you referring to one of their "storages" being raided. They should have more than one storage, yes. But they should really spread resources across these storages very very thin, so an attack on one storage wont cripple their chances for good. It's all about signing up for the CWU as a Community Worker and then organizing to have resources hidden away in various dumpsters, storm drains and even inside hollow walls.

If a death is PK, it makes much more sense. It really entitles for more FearRP when it comes to the Combine, because you will really have to prove your worth. Right now, anybody can be a badass because it's just NLR.

You will have to take legit risks and make a very calculated or even gut-based decision in just the knick of time to get your people out of the situation safely. Besides, inter-Resistance deaths make for great emotional development for the other characters later on.

If you're not prepared to lose your character, don't join the resistance. It's a risk you take.

And proper Rogue CP's, will have just as much story to tell as any resistance character. They'll have stories of their childhood and because they have gone rogue they can't be higher than 03/02, which also means there will be some emotional development going on in the form of the rogue unit being forced to amputate and the psychological stress that comes with it.

A proper rogue CCA unit, is the Resistance' best ally.

No I don't mean go to the salesman and buy all the guns for the resistance. They'd keep track of them IC'ly. But things like Metropolice Supplements, Medical equipment and things like that. Aswell as tip-off's about incoming raids and compromised identities/locations.

It's all supposed to be a very intricate and sophisticated web of well-developed characters, emotional progress and the ability to outsmart the enemy accordingly.

On a vaguely related note; The Combine aren't afraid of the resistance physically. But they are very aware and observant on the resistance because the Combine does everything in their power to cognitively numb the earths inhabitants, and they don't want the Citizen's getting the idea into their head that maybe there is another option other than submission.

Which is why the CA should regularly hold speeches where he degrades the resistance and calls them "Anti-Progress" and "Primates". Things like that. It's about making the masses believe that Combine IS the next step, and the Resistance job is to show that there is another way.

Any resistance member would also realise that it's way more beneficial to lay low and that you can do way more for humanity by providing help and resources to those in need. A dead resistance member is of no use to mankind.
Duspende

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed May 14, 2014 7:24 am

Yes.

I agree with this wholesomely.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Awesome on Wed May 14, 2014 11:59 am

I see your point. It makes sense. Basically in a nutshell, if you can't handle the time(In this case character loss), then don't do the crime kinda ordeal. I mean it makes sense. Got dat .5% back on with ya now.

Mr. Awesome

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Duspende on Wed May 14, 2014 12:08 pm

Exactly. Glad you see it like that, too.

I would add a poll, but that's generally a bad idea because people will often vote without putting any actual thought into it.

Maybe if they had to write up an explanation if they pick "No."
Duspende

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Awesome on Wed May 14, 2014 12:13 pm

Duspende wrote:Exactly. Glad you see it like that, too.

I would add a poll, but that's generally a bad idea because people will often vote without putting any actual thought into it.

Maybe if they had to write up an explanation if they pick "No."
Nine times out of ten people don't, so don't bother on polls. If someone really cares about expressing their disagreement to the situation, they'll explain why.

Mr. Awesome

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Duspende on Wed May 14, 2014 12:16 pm

True.

My biggest fear is that the majority of people is never going to care about this thread because there's too much text.
Duspende

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Goatleash on Wed May 14, 2014 12:22 pm

all deaths from whitelist should be PK (excluding CWU/CMU since they're citizens). Die as MPF, character is banned, make a new one and get new digits. Die as rogue, lose whitelist. Die as rebel, lose rebel and go back to civ. Another problem I see is that when rebels are actually PK'd (which is not often) all they do is go citizen and run straight to the sewers to join again.

Goatleash

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Awesome on Wed May 14, 2014 12:22 pm

Duspende wrote:True.

My biggest fear is that the majority of people is never going to care about this thread because there's too much text.
If someone is too lazy to read something then they don't care about the topic of what it's about in the first place.

Mr. Awesome

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Duspende on Wed May 14, 2014 12:27 pm

Goatleash wrote:all deaths from whitelist should be PK (excluding CWU/CMU since they're citizens). Die as MPF, character is banned, make a new one and get new digits. Die as rogue, lose whitelist. Die as rebel, lose rebel and go back to civ. Another problem I see is that when rebels are actually PK'd (which is not often) all they do is go citizen and run straight to the sewers to join again.

Which is another reason they shouldn't have a dedicated "base" anywhere.
Duspende

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny on Tue May 20, 2014 1:32 am

YES.
Kenny
Administration Council

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum