Proposed fix to the rebel problem.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Proposed fix to the rebel problem.

Post by Kookie on Mon May 19, 2014 12:23 am

So a lot of people have been complaining about the amount of rebels and the emptiness of the plaza (This includes me, even though I mostly play on a rebel), so I've come up with a possible way to fix this. More citizen rights/activities. Now, this doesn't mean that the Combine all of a sudden let you do anything you want. I mean things like watching movies at the cinema, setting up small businesses (see my very old post about citizen run shops for more details), and maybe some other fun things. The reason people don't go to plaza isn't that they want to rebel, it's because all they can literally do is walk around and talk to people occasionally. Now, for the activities, I don't have many ideas. You're welcome to post some ideas for citizen activities. Maybe something like sports games or something. Or classes run by CWU, that teach loyalty and maybe some basic skills (IE; how to cook with UU approved items). I think that if this plays out like I imagine it will, it'll fix the rebel problem. A lot of people think the solution to the problem is to do sweeps and amputate all the rebels. That'll solve NOTHING. If you kill a rebel, the person will just make another char and eventually gain the same social standing with the rebels again. Feel free to post your rants, suggestions, and death threats in the comments. kthnxbai.
Kookie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Proposed fix to the rebel problem.

Post by <::Toxic Oktuberfest::> on Mon May 19, 2014 1:21 am

I agree on this but my opinion of the rebels is they should literally stay underground- like the underground railroad. I am not completely sure what our canon is on them but in the Half-Life 2 series they didn't really do much except work on getting people out of the city and the scientists on telaportation technology all mostly trying to stay hidden. The only true time they went on the offence was when Gordon came into play, because they had a very powerful ally suddenly pop up. I'd wish the resistance here actually did stuff like that, aka- tried to keep quiet- and for mpf units not to take into account random goodies two-shoes saying 'oh i found this secret hatch thingy' which they already knew about oocly. I've seen that happen numerous times, especially when a Unit actually takes it into record. I mean the rebels need SOME place to stay, right? Also in my opinion becoming a top-notch rebel should be very exclusive, rather than wannabe webals making a random group that want to play hero. This is before Gordons time. Without him there is no huge offensive force, just groups scattered about connected by radio and various other means that seem to mainly be focused on surviving.

Wow okay that was a rant. I'd say more but I honestly shouldn't. Mind the typos.

As for the civvie activities I mean, your ideas are awesome! Some things besides the occasional rations and work cycle is good. I don't know what, but it'd work. Perhaps a book shop that sells mainly propaganda books about the Union and their purpose and stuff? I mean my favorite civvie pass-time is sitting in the plaza on a bench reading, or in the grotto reading. Or in my apt heating up noodles, or pretending to wash clothes, or all of this other fun passive-rp that people seem to don't think about doing.

Rightright I'm stopping now.
<::Toxic Oktuberfest::>
Contributor

View user profile http://kayleediekunstlerin.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorklord on Mon May 19, 2014 2:22 pm

I made a suggestions yesterday similar to the idea that Citizens should have "jobs" in the factories that earn them a few tokens and maybe extra rations.

UU sponsored TV shows would be great too if we somehow were able to get the TVs to work on places other than the CA's office.
Dorklord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nugget and Skull on Mon May 19, 2014 2:32 pm

Dorklord wrote:I made a suggestions yesterday similar to the idea that Citizens should have "jobs" in the factories that earn them a few tokens and maybe extra rations.

UU sponsored TV shows would be great too if we somehow were able to get the TVs to work on places other than the CA's office.
Citizen interaction is a must. Of course, the less trustworthy civs would be turned away, a unit would need to supervise, and a CWU member to be quality control, but a factory shift would be wonderful. Also, admins should drop some trash props throughout the city so civs can toss them/units can request (or tell) them to clean it up. It's tough to give civs freedom in an oppressed setting, but give just enough to where players aren't discouraged to make a loyalist/neutral civilian. I second this.
Nugget and Skull
Contributor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Duspende on Mon May 19, 2014 3:04 pm

We're looking into making CWU an IC thing in the sense that as a Citizen, you go to the CWU office and apply for a job. You will then be assigned a supervisor who is already CWU, and you will be following and working alongside him. At the end of your trial period he will write an evaluation of your efforts and persona, which can lead to a full-time job in the CWU.

Alongside this we plan on having the "Districts" more seperate. An Industrial district for the CWU Industrial Department, and shell beach open and guarded for the CWU Logistics Department and perhaps even the construction site for the CWU Maintenance and Manual Labor Department. Depending on which CWU Department you work in and which rank you are, you will be relocated with housing to the corresponding District. There will also be "ranks" in the sense that you will start out doing the shit jobs that nobody likes to do, but if you do well you will rise the ranks to become Shift Supervisor or even Department Manager.

Note that these terms aren't final. They're just to give you a general sense of what MIGHT be done. But we still haven't come to a conclusion whether this would be the right way to go, or not.
Duspende

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nugget and Skull on Mon May 19, 2014 3:11 pm

Duspende wrote:We're looking into making CWU an IC thing in the sense that as a Citizen, you go to the CWU office and apply for a job. You will then be assigned a supervisor who is already CWU, and you will be following and working alongside him. At the end of your trial period he will write an evaluation of your efforts and persona, which can lead to a full-time job in the CWU.

Alongside this we plan on having the "Districts" more seperate. An Industrial district for the CWU Industrial Department, and shell beach open and guarded for the CWU Logistics Department and perhaps even the construction site for the CWU Maintenance and Manual Labor Department. Depending on which CWU Department you work in and which rank you are, you will be relocated with housing to the corresponding District. There will also be "ranks" in the sense that you will start out doing the shit jobs that nobody likes to do, but if you do well you will rise the ranks to become Shift Supervisor or even Department Manager.

Note that these terms aren't final. They're just to give you a general sense of what MIGHT be done. But we still haven't come to a conclusion whether this would be the right way to go, or not.
It's certainly a very interesting idea, but citizens shouldn't be too separate from one another. I like the idea of more specific districts, but we have to avoid the mistakes of past server failures and make too many areas faction specific. However, having jobs being doled out/assigned is a fantastic place to start.
Nugget and Skull
Contributor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Duspende on Mon May 19, 2014 3:31 pm

Nugget and Skull wrote:
Duspende wrote:We're looking into making CWU an IC thing in the sense that as a Citizen, you go to the CWU office and apply for a job. You will then be assigned a supervisor who is already CWU, and you will be following and working alongside him. At the end of your trial period he will write an evaluation of your efforts and persona, which can lead to a full-time job in the CWU.

It's certainly a very interesting idea, but citizens shouldn't be too separate from one another. I like the idea of more specific districts, but we have to avoid the mistakes of past server failures and make too many areas faction specific. However, having jobs being doled out/assigned is a fantastic place to start.
The thing is, the idea behind this is to give Citizens a goal. Something to aim for and do. Let's face it, there's limits to how interesting it is just to roam the streets and get your ass handed to you for running accidentally.

This way, there is a "what if" feel to it and a sense of accomplishment, even for the regular citizen.
Duspende

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny on Mon May 19, 2014 11:06 pm

YES.
Kenny
Administration Council

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content